There’s no better way to get rid of your unwanted wares than a garage sale: you have fun, you meet people, and you make cash – what more could you want? There’s an answer to that rhetorical question, friends: “We want fashion designers to sell their stuff so we can buy it and tell our friends about it.”
This year’s Garage Sale Trail is your chance. The trail is designed to encourage people to spring clean and then sell their goods to raise money for a cause (even if it’s a Fund My Trip To Europe cause). Marnie Skillings and Pip Edwards have cleaned out their closets and will be selling their unwanted clothes, books, fabrics, and anything else they find straight to you.
We had a quick chat to Marnie Skillings about the ins and outs of garage sales and a sneak peek at what she’ll be selling. We’ve already got our eyes on a few things, so you’ll have to be quick. But remember, no pushing.
Top five garage sale dos:
1. Smile and say ‘hi!’ it’s meant to be fun!
2. Saunter very casually over to that item that has sent your pulse racing and hide how excited you are until after you ask the price.
3. When buying second hand or vintage, be careful of stains, most yellow age stains don’t come out.
4. Does it fit? A $50 pair of near new Prada shoes is not a bargain if you can never wear them.
5. Say thank you.
Top five garage sale don’ts.
1. No pushing and shoving.
2. If you think an item is undesirable, be a little subtle about it rather than hooting and jeering in front of the garage sale owner.
3. Don’t be too overzealous with your haggling, we all like a bargain but a brawl over $5 is not cool.
4. Hang or refold as you found it; there’s nothing worse than someone trashing your sale.
5. It works both ways; if you’re having a sale don’t be too rigid, go with the flow, let people have a bargain and have some fun.
What’s the most important thing to consider when planning a stall?
Be organised and friendly but not too serious.
What will you be selling at the Garage Sale Trail?
I’ve got to clear out my wardrobe a bit – I have way too many clothes, shoes, bags and also getting rid of some books, patterns, some fabrics, just making room for new stuff!
What’s the best thing you’ve bought from a garage sale?
A hand stitched terrier tapestry in a gold frame for my wall.